Over 100 people burn to death in Kenyan fire
Fuel leaking from a tank ignited by a cigarette butt accidentally thrown in has taken the lives of well over 100 people in the densely populated area of Nairobi in Kenya.
A petrol tank at a depot belonging to the Kenyan Pipeline Company burst and fuel spilled into an open sewer running through the populated slum. People tried desperately to scoop up the fuel and sewage but unfortunately burst into flames because of the cigarette butt.
The flames engulfed the community and many people burnt to death. Pictures of smoldering skeletons as well as horrendous images of survivors with skin peeling off their faces and arms due to the intense heat were aired on television.
Reports from the Red Cross say that an informal school within the community was burnt along with the students. Officials are unable to give an exact number of deaths though it is said to be over 150, with the police chief stating “the scene is very bad, there are many bodies we have not yet counted”.
Fire fighters were seen scrambling along the narrow alleyways spreading foam on the fuel that is spreading and fire that is still raging.